For our first assignment, I wanted to keep things simple. We were told to create a pop-up animal or bug, so I decided to create something round that would be easy to pop out like the table that we made in class, along with a head that would stand vertically when the card opened.
I sketched my creature out in my dotted grid notebook, which helped me to keep it symmetrical. I then scaled it to the size that I wanted in Photoshop, and separated it out into three pieces that could be transferred onto my construction paper.
I used my home-made light box to transfer the sketch to construction paper, the used an exact-o to cut it out precisely.
It wound up being a lot more colorful than I had imagined it in my head, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing. Next, I wanted tape the head in such a way that it stood up vertically when the body was laid flat, which I think I got to work pretty well.
The next step was to make the whole thing elevate and lay flat when the card opens which…
Not quite. After some last minute updates, though, I had it working ok.