Week Two Documentation

I had some leftover acrylic from last semester, which was pretty easy to turn into a nice square piece for the Bantam mill for this week’s assignment.

After an extremely helpful meeting with Ben in the afternoon, I was ready to cut and engrave this small piece into a simple part using the Bantam mill. I figured the simplest thing I could do with my 3”x3” piece would be to cut a circle, with one smaller circle engraved in the center to act as a hub, and one set off-center where a crank or something could be inserted.

 
twoHoles-01.png
circle-01.png
 

And once those two SVG pieces were loaded into the Bantam program, there wasn’t a whole lot left to do but let the mill run.

 
 

I let the machine engrave the smaller two holes first then I had it cut out the larger piece.

 
 

When the machine was finished, I pried the piece up off of the bed, and took a look.

 
 

A small film of plastic was left over on the edge from where the machine didn’t quite cut through, but that smoothed out pretty easily with a little bit of sandpaper on the corner.

 
IMG_0833.JPG
 

It’s not the most practical piece in the world, but I feel comfortable with the Bantam mill now, and I’m excited to start thinking about how to use this process for more complex projects.

Week One Documentation

Prior to this week’s assignment, I had never used a router before. I didn’t quite know what to expect in terms of difficulty, but ultimately it was a pretty straightforward process, slowly ratcheting up the bit with each pass until the piece was finally done.

 
Picture1.png
 


And I think it wound up looking pretty good. Take a little sandpaper to the edges, and I had a nice-looking little circle with a segment cut out of it.

 
Picture2.png
 

 And let’s just check it against the example in the project to be sure it looks right…

 
Picture4.png
 

Oh.

Apparently, we were meant to be focusing on the outside part of the circle.

Which I didn’t quite understand until I saw the final segment of the assignment in which we were instructed to cut out the 1’x1’ square from the original piece of plywood. And this is a bit of an issue for me, given that as I was focused on the inside piece, I had let my router go a little way into the outside of my plywood.

 
Picture5.png
 

Time for some coarse sandpaper!

 
Picture6.png
Picture7.png
 

So now I have a fairly nice looking circle segment, and a somewhat odd-looking part cutout of a 1’x1’ piece of plywood.

 
Picture8.png
 

Ultimately this project taught two equally valuable lessons- the first being an intro to the router, and the second on the importance of understanding the assignment before starting on it.